Critical Moment

At 10.53am i received an email from the communications and marketing manager at Bridgewater, Matthew Atherton, stating, “It will probably be tomorrow afternoon when it (the brief) goes out now – we had to extend a deadline for staff responses.” So the deadline that the client themselves had set for the release had been delayed without a definative new date or time for release. I replied to Matt saying thank you and I hope to hear from him as soon as possible. I was at home working on my research at the time that I received the email.

I wasn’t expecting there to be any delay since the brief is being set by a large organisation who I expect have their own strict deadlines to work by so I was quite shocked by the delay. Initially, I would of expected an apology for the delay and the changes I would have to make but I expect that Matt isn’t exactly pleased with the delay himself and from the abruptness of the email I think he’ quite busy and the delay is not his fault.

It stands out as a critical incident for the project as I cannot develop my ideas until I receive the brief. Although I have an idea of the brief, have conducted research and have developed initial scamps and sketches for initial ideas, I cannot develop the ideas until I know the constraints set out in the brief, the message that the client wants to convey with the logo and identity and the identity management to the formal NHS logo and the new Bridgewater logo.

From the point of view of the client, the delay may be neccessary in one respect due to the staff feedback not received. This may be an important input for the client’s research and may inform my own designs greatly so it may be essential for the project and leaving it out of the brief may be critical.

I have learnt from this event that clients can be unreliable. I did not expect that a large client would have delays, or notify of any delays so close to a deadline. I was only informed on the day that the brief was to be released and would of prefered to of had a bit more notice as I have planned and prepared to work on the brief straight away. A new deadline would of also been preferable compared to “probably be tomorrow.” I maybe should of highlighted this when communicating with the client.

In light of the incident I will continue my initial idea generation and research in the hope that the brief will be released tomorrow so that development can begin. I will also adapt my Gantt chart for the new timetable and email the client tomorrow again to try and get a set release date if it is not released tomorrow.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: